American Institute of Hydrology (AIH)
View the 2022 AIH Winter Bulletin Today!
Who We Are
The American Institute of Hydrology (AIH) was founded in 1981 as a non-profit scientific and educational organization dedicated to the certification and registration of professionals in all fields of hydrology. AIH is the only nationwide organization that offers certification to qualified hydrologic professionals.
The purpose of AIH is to enhance and strengthen the standing of hydrology as a science and profession by:
- Establishing standards and procedures to certify individuals qualified to practice hydrology
- Establishing and maintaining ethical standards to protect the public from irresponsible work
- Providing education, public advice, and training in hydrology
The benefits of being a member of AIH include:
- Peer and employer recognition of professional competence in hydrology for career advancement
- Certification to perform duties specified by certain agencies
- Association to a nationwide network of hydrologists
- Access to and opportunities for contributing to AIH Bulletin
- Access to career development and continuing education resources
- Eligibility for annual awards
Unlike certification examinations for other organizations, AIH examinations focus solely on knowledge and understanding of hydrology.
Benefits of Certification
Certification by AIH provides a means by which the public, employers, and clients can recognize those hydrologic professionals who are judged by their peers to possess the proper and necessary qualifications to practice their profession with integrity.
Benefits of being certified by AIH include:
- Peer recognition of professional competence in hydrology
- Career resources
- A nationwide network of hydrologists
- AIH Bulletin
- Access to continuing education resources
“Greetings! The end of the calendar year is a common period for self-reflection by individuals and organizations. As I look back while concluding the first year of my two-year term as your American Institute of Hydrology (AIH) President, I’m delighted about the accomplishments of your AIH leadership team during 2021. Our achievements this year, however, are not just a function of what we did during 2021 – they consider the steps taken by AIH over the past few years to address challenges and introduce new perspectives, along with the great work of your leadership team.”