Who We Are
The American Institute of Hydrology (AIH) was founded in 1981 as a non-profit scientific and educational organization dedicated to the certification and registration of professionals in all fields of hydrology. AIH is the only nationwide organization that offers certification to qualified hydrologic professionals.
The purpose of AIH is to enhance and strengthen the standing of hydrology as a science and profession by:
- Establishing standards and procedures to certify individuals qualified to practice hydrology
- Establishing and maintaining ethical standards to protect the public from irresponsible work
- Providing education, public advice, and training in hydrology
The benefits of being a member of AIH include:
- Peer and employer recognition of professional competence in hydrology for career advancement
- Certification to perform duties specified by certain agencies
- Association to a nationwide network of hydrologists
- Access to and opportunities for contributing to AIH Bulletin
- Access to career development and continuing education resources
- Eligibility for annual awards
Unlike certification examinations for other organizations, AIH examinations focus solely on knowledge and understanding of hydrology.
Benefits of Certification
Certification by AIH provides a means by which the public, employers, and clients can recognize those hydrologic professionals who are judged by their peers to possess the proper and necessary qualifications to practice their profession with integrity.
Benefits of being certified by AIH include:
- Peer recognition of professional competence in hydrology
- Career resources
- A nationwide network of hydrologists
- AIH Bulletin
- Access to continuing education resources
This is an overdue update to our AIH members and community about what your AIH leadership team has been up to this year. I am thrilled to announce completion of critical and timely updates to the governing documents for our organization – our AIH Articles of Incorporation (formerly, Constitution) and AIH Bylaws. We initiated the review and update process in 2016. Over the past six years, past and current AIH leadership team members devoted many, many hours to completing a comprehensive review and developing suggested revisions to these documents. This review and update provided a great opportunity to reflect on how we have operated and how we will function in the future. In the spirit of these changes, Leonardo Da Vinci once remarked (translated to English): “When you put your hand in a flowing stream, you touch the last that has gone before and the first of what is still to come.” It is extremely gratifying to see the results of our review/update process in our new governing documents, and I look forward to the next steps.