The past few months have been very productive for the American Institute of Hydrology (AIH) and we have a lot to be proud of. Since my last President’s message, AIH:
- Welcomed Chance Fulk, HT III as our new Treasurer–and first HT to hold a position on the AIH Executive Committee (EC). Chance takes over for Salam Murtada who vacated the Treasurer position after election as AIH’s Vice President for Institute Development.
- Transitioned Salam Murtada from role as AIH’s Treasure to Vice President for Institute Development.
- Held our AIH 2021 Annual EC Meeting over the week of March 14 to 21, 2021. EC members reflected on 2020 accomplishments/challenges, and proposed actions/initiatives associated to goals and strategies for 2021.
- Established AIH’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force, which will be composed of AIH member volunteers, our AIH Executive Director (Sarah Erck), President-Elect (Julé Rizzardo), and me. The DEI Task Force’s kickoff meeting is scheduled Wednesday, May 19, 2021. If interested in joining the DEI Task Force, contact our AIH management office. Stay tuned for more information on DEI Task Force initiatives/activities in the coming months.
- Implemented membership application and database changes and a complete website redesign. We’re very excited for these changes to improve ease of application development by perspective members, application review and processing by our Board of Registration, and provide enhanced member benefits through access of information and content. A welcome email with access information to this new certification platform will be going out soon.
My goal is for AIH to be the premier certifying organization and “home” for hydrologists and hydrologic technicians across the United States. The above updates help address priorities shared earlier this year to achieve this goal– and we have plenty of items on our to-do list to further address those priorities, along with the goals and objectives established by each of our EC members. We have a great team and I look forward to reporting on our accomplishments to you again soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, Sarah, our management office, or either of our EC members if there is anything you need or if you have suggestions– we are here to serve you!
JAMIL S. IBRAHIM